Welcome to my weight loss journey! I was sleeved on 6/6/11
Went in for tummy tuck and breast reduction 12/11/12


Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pain Killers are the Devil...

Pain killers...yes, they have helped me through numerous surgeries and I appreciate them more than anyone could ever know. And up until I became old, I never had a problem with them. Well today I would like to fill you in on my past twenty four hours.

I went in Tuesday for my one week postoperative appointment and everything was great and grand. I told them that I hadn't pooped in a week. TMI. Yes, I know, but I've always told my readers that I will be disgustingly honest about all my business. They told me it was normal, to go to Target and get some magnesium citrate, mix with sprite, chug and it would definitely get things moving. Well it sure did....painfully so.

I ended up in the ER last night at 7. I left the ER without even seeing a doctor at 3:30am. I talked to a really nice nurse and she told me to try an enema. I come home in pain and tears and are my pour husband up to drive up to the northwest to the only 24 hour drugstore in town. He gets back quickly and then he has to give this thing to me. Ummmmm...first of all, how embarrassing. Second of all, how disgusting. Third of all, do you have any idea how hard it is to get on your hands and knees and put your butt in the air one week after a tummy tuck and breast reduction!? Well, let me tell you, I ran out of tears. 6am rolls around and all I have is excruciating pain. I go back to the packed ER. The lovely gentleman that checked me in at 7 the night before was helping an elderly lady to her car and saw me sitting in the waiting room. He came over and I busted out in tears. He got me to the back with a doctor in les than 30 minutes. He was my angel today and I'm so grateful to him. So the doctor comes in. He says it sounds like you're impacted. WTF!? Yeah, so he proceeded to do a rectal exam and pulled a wee little bit of poo out. Worst pain of my life. He apologized, helped me up and told me that the Vicodin was the leading cause of constipation. I am not a medical person. I really had no idea. I got a little bit backed up during my sleeve recovery, but nothing like this. He had the nurse bring in all sorts of things to take, then they kicked me out and said hurry home, quickly. They weren't lying. LOL. whatever they gave me worked a miracle. A very painful miracle. But I'm glad to say that I am resting and recouping and I'm thankful that its all over.

So moral of the story. Pay attention after a surgery, and make sure you're pooping. I had 8 days worth impacted, more or less.

Disgusting. TMI. Sorry I shared this, but if it helps someone in the future, I served my purpose.

Other than this, I'm feeling really good. Just another bump in the road. Last night was the first time in a long time that I cried for my Mommy. Don't ever want to go through that again...so I'm pushing tons of water and taking stool softener and cut down on Pain meds. I had completely quit and I was just bearing the pain. They said that's stupid. Don't do it. Ok. I've learned my lesson.

No comments: